Today Citadel + Compagnie joins the Toronto Alliance for the Performing Arts and performing arts organizations across the province of Ontario in the #FairnessForArtsON Campaign.
Dropping COVID-19 case-counts, coupled with the opportunity to work outdoors and online should offer a light at the end of the tunnel for performing arts organizations, outdoor venues, festivals and events.
But, as it stands, the government’s recently announced Roadmap to Reopening only offers a dead-end to the performing arts at a time when we are perhaps needed most.
In the coming days and weeks, Ontario senior officials will meet to determine the specific regulatory details of the Roadmap to Reopen, including the offices of Chief Medical Officer Dr. David Williams, Ministers and Deputy Ministers, and public health officials. The decisions and changes made in the next few days will determine the fate of our stages for the next year.
Today we demand #FairnessForArtsON by asking our government to:
- Reopen rehearsals in Step 1 so we can be ready to begin performances in Step 2.
- Allow filming inside performance spaces in Step 1 so theatres can deliver content digitally.
- Set capacity limits for outdoor and indoor theatres based on square footage so we can maximize safe audience access in different sized venues.
These are accommodations that have already been granted to industries like sport, film & television and meetings & events.
For Citadel + Compagnie, the ability to rehearse and capture digital content is integral not only for us but for all the artists we support in residence and present. Ongoing cancellations have been devastating for our artists as their work and contributions continue to be left in the dark.
The arts are an essential part of our Ontario. We need #FairnessForArtsON now.
Join us TODAY in advocating for the fair reopening of arts & culture in Ontario:
- Go to https://canadianlivemusic.ca/fairnessforartson/ to send letters to the Premier, Ministers, MPPs, municipal leaders and representatives. Enter your name and postal code, and the site will automatically send your message to your local representatives with pre-generated text.
- Make some noise! Repost our message on Facebook (@citadelcie), Instagram (@citadelcie_) or Twitter (@citadelcie) to amplify the voices of Ontario arts organizations. OR
- Create your own post on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram!
- Upload the #FairnessForArtsON logo to your post. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gY7vFLnFHKOq99_hhS4Nsu3kA-5EiP5-?usp=sharing
- Doug Ford – fb: ondougford tw: @fordnation ig: @fordnationdougford
- Christine Elliott – fb: ChristineElliottON tw: @celliottability ig: @celliottability
- Lisa MacLeod – fb: LisaMacLeodNepean tw: @MacLeodLisa ig: @lisamacleodpc
- Victor-Fedeli – fb: @vicfedeli tw: @VictorFedeli ig: @vicfedeli
- (For Toronto residents only): Eileen De Villa – tw: @epdevilla ig: eileendevilla
- (For Toronto residents only): John Tory – fb: @johntoryTO tw: @johntory ig: @johntory
- Customize the following sample post, adding your own personal touch, and including the three key changes for reopening.
|Facebook and Instagram|
I am one of millions of arts lovers in Ontario. The Ontario Government’s “Roadmap to Reopening” is a dead-end for the performing arts, outdoor venues, festivals and events.
I am craving the performing arts the way others miss restaurants, sports and religious services, but the current guidelines will leave arts and culture behind. I demand #FairnessForArtsON: Reopen rehearsals in Step 1 so artists can be ready to begin performances in Step 2. Allow filming inside performance spaces in Step 1 so we can enjoy content from our favourite artists digitally. Set capacity limits for outdoor and indoor theatres based on square footage so we can maximize our access to different sized venues. These are the same accommodations that have already been granted to industries like sport, film & television and meetings & events.
The arts are an essential part of my Ontario. We need #FairnessForArtsON now.
The @ONgov “Roadmap to Reopening” is a dead-end for the performing arts. I demand #FairnessForArtsON: Reopen rehearsals in Step 1. Allow filming in performance spaces in Step 1. Set capacity limits based on square footage. The arts are an essential part of my Ontario.
At a time when many causes demand our urgent attention, we thank you for your support of this important initiative.